Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Burn, Baby, Burn

It's always a fun thing to research for a book I'm working on. For Beautiful/Wild, I've googled fairy tales online, especially "Beauty and the Beast," colorblindness, "Ring Around the Rosie," the Amish community, cows, the color red, names, etc. I've read The Meanings of "Beauty & the Beast": A Handbook by Jerry Griswold and also various YA dystopian novels by different authors.

Now this weekend, I'm venturing into a non-internet research! I'm going to burn some red rose petals over a candle! Why? Well, in my book, my character Arabella is burning those petals with her stepfather because red is a forbidden color in their society. Her stepfather found this rose growing in someone's garden and brought it into his family's home illegally. If they are caught with it, they would be punished.

So I need to know what the petals would look like burning away and what the smell would be like. Googling this topic didn't help me. That's why I'm excited to do this little experiment!


4 comments:

Jenna Cooper said...

Hands-on experimenting is always the best!

juanvillagrana said...

*sigh* Research and I don't mix, but when it comes right down to it, it can actually be pretty entertaining. This, however, sounds downright fun!
Good luck!
=)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

How interesting! Talk about cool research!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome that you're really doing the research. Hope it worked.

Post a Comment