Friday, October 7, 2011

Fairy Tale Friday #1: Snow White Movies

Wow, I honestly suck at updating my blog on a consistent basis. I either am too lazy to post anything or I have nothing to say. Well, it all changes with my "Fairy Tale Friday" idea. I was trying to figure out what I can post each week. That's when I came up with the idea of posting something fairy tale related each Friday. Maybe I talk about a specific fairy tale, or a theme I noticed in fairy tales, or upcoming books/movies/shows that are about fairy tales.

I'm getting excited here!

So, why fairy tales?

First of all, I love, love, love them. Second, I'm working on a fairy tale dystopia. And third, I have the bottom shelf of my bookcase devoted to fairy tales.

Since this is the first post of "Fairy Tale Friday," I will post some pictures of the two upcoming Snow White movies. One is Snow White and the Huntsman which stars Kristen Stewart as Snow White and Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen. The other is The Brothers Grimm: Snow White which stars Lily Collins as Snow White and Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen.

Based on the plot lines and the photographs, you can tell the vast differences in these two movies! One is dark and seemed more realistic and grimy while the other is colorful and more magical/fantasy-related. (By the way, I just read that the Kristen Stewart one is supposed to be a trilogy! What?) Even though I would definitely watch both movies, I'm actually more excited for Kristen Stewart's version because it seems darker and her Snow White seems more badass.

Also, I loved the 1997 movie Snow White: A Tale of Terror starring Sigourney Weaver as the Evil Queen. I loved the horror/dark elements which how the original fairy tale was originally intended. If you read the original story and not the Disney version, you would see how dark it actually was. The other fairy tales were that dark, too, because they were originally intended for adults, not children.



Here are the differences between the two upcoming Snow White movies:


The Evil Queen
(Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Charlize Theron
(Snow White and the Huntsman)

Julia Roberts
(The Brothers Grimm: Snow White)

Snow White
(Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)

Kristen Stewart
(Snow White and the Huntsman)

Lily Collins
(The Brothers Grimm: Snow White)

6 comments:

Anne said...

Oo, I think Charlize Theron would make the perfect Evil Queen! I'm pretty excited for this version of Snow White too for the same reason as you. But I'm really wondering why Snow White's got a shield and she's in this full armor thing o.o
Looking forward to you Fairy Tale Fridays :D

Emily Gray Clawson said...

Fairy tales are awesome! Pre-made plot lines with lots of room to make them your own. Besides, we never get tired of them. Fairy Tale Friday's sound wonderful!

Great blog!

sugarpeach said...

I love light and funny fairy tale film adaptions. For me, I'm more looking forward to The Brothers Grimm: Snow White than Snow White & the Huntsman. I'm wondering how they are going to stretch the latter to 3 movies...

Munnaza said...

Woah, a fairy tale dystopia? That's pretty awesome. I wish you the best of luck with your writing!

I think it's fantastic that you're highlighting fairy tales, since they seem to be everywhere these days. I don't know what it is about them, but these are the stories that touch us and pique our interests and no matter how many times they're retold or twisted, they continue to be engaging and appeal to the masses.

Part of this is probably why Disney is 3D-ifying all of their old classic films (SO EXCITED FOR BEAUTY AND THE BEAST NEXT MONTH), and part of this is probably why there are so many variations of films like the two Snow White films you mentioned being done.

One of my favorite upcoming releases is actually Cinder by Marissa Meyer, and that's an interesting spin on the tale (though it has more original plot than fairy tale retelling).

Are you a fan of the ABC series Once Upon a Time? Though I haven't seen the Snow White film you mentioned, this show actually has my FAVORITE version of Snow White. Ginnifer Goodwin is just SO kickass, it's hard not to love her. And Josh Dallas makes the most interestng, three dimensional Prince Charming I've ever seen. (If you can't tell, I am so incredibly addicted.)

Thanks for this post!

Kulsuma said...

I love how different these are going to be! They both look great! I can't wait to see these!

FairyWhispers said...

I sincerely cannot really picture Julia Roberts as evil witch.

it's just so weird!

Post a Comment