Saturday, June 13, 2015

Swoon Reads

A few years ago, I had an early draft of my book Summer of Firsts on the now defunct Inkpop. There, I had readers who left awesome comments, gave me feedback, and made it go into the Top 5!

Years later, I have edited it, making it 15,000 words longer and turning my Grace Washington character into a half-Korean girl (inspired by my time in South Korea).

Now I have posted Summer of Firsts on the site Swoon Reads for an opportunity to be published! Ratings and comments would be great because I always want to improve in my writing--and I would like a chance to get published!

http://www.swoonreads.com/m/summer-of-firsts

Here is the description to my book:

DESCRIPTION
Life can be boring when living in a small town or cruel when facing insensitive Asian stereotypes others have of her. To escape it, Grace Washington immerses herself in books where she can pretend life is as exciting as a Jane Austen novel but safe from an actual heartbreak.
This summer, Grace finds real love stories with an Ivy League hopeful who doesn’t let stereotypes bother him and a brooding mess who’s already been hurt by a nice girl. She can’t tell if what she’s experiencing is love, friendship, or a fling until a girl from one of her boys’ past comes back. For the first time, she suffers a heartbreak. Now she must decide if she’ll stick around in the real world where she’s headed for an anti-Austen ending or hide among her books where she’s guaranteed a happy one with Mr. Darcy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chen! I read your book Summer Friends on Inkpop back in 2009 and it was totally perfect and amazing to me. I made my best friend read it and she loved it as well. I've been thinking about your book a lot recently but hadn't been able to find you since the Inkpop site has been shut down. I'm so glad I finally remembered the title of the book and tracked you down! Do you still have a copy of the book?

Chen Yan Chang said...

Hi! Wow, I'm glad you still remember SUMMER FRIENDS! I have plans to rewrite the book but I don't know when because I have other writing projects I want to work on. Don't worry! The ending will still be the same! A few years ago, I did start editing the first few summers but I stopped. Maybe I could do it in between writing other things since I do like editing better than writing. If I can get it rewritten, I might put it up on the Swoon Reads site in the future or query agents. If neither of those things work out, I would eventually self-publish :). If I have updates, you can always find out on my twitter account @nodizzies. Anyways, I hope you can be patient with me! Never forget Sam and Mandy ;)

Post a Comment